The CAP Candidate Handbook includes eligibility requirements that, as of the time of this writing, are not available without registering with certifiedanalytics.org. This is obviously an annoying obstacle for many people because the requirements to apply for the exam are very strict and eligibility is required to obtain certification. Therefore we have provided a brief summary of the eligibility requirements below:
- Certification requires a BA/BS of higher in business (and related areas such as marketing, finance, etc.), analytics, operations research, management science,statistics, engineering, “and others as deemed appropriate by the INFORMS Analytics Certification Board”. Essentially, if your degree isn’t on the list (as many aren’t) you are not automatically excluded. You will need request a waiver by calling 1-800-446-3676 or sending an email to email@example.com explaining your situation.
- For full certification, applicants with:
- Master’s degree in a related area must have at least 3 years of professional analytics related experience;
- Bachelor’s degree in a related area must have at least 5 years of professional analytics experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in an unrelated area must have at least 7 years of professional analytics experience.
- If you are early in building an analytics career and don’t meet the experience requirements, the Associate CAP, or aCAP, certification may be a worthwhile alternative.
- A current supervisor’s confirmation that you are effective in communicating the complexities of the analytics process. Again, these are challenging requirements so you may request a waiver if you would rather use a past employer, client, or “acceptable substitute” instead of your current supervisor. A representative will call the supervisor you list and interview them to verify your soft skills.
- Applicants must pledge to adhere to INFORMS Code of Ethics as published in the CAP Candidate Handbook.
- Last and not least, you will have to pass the CAP exam.
As helpful as this list of eligibility requirements are, they are still very strict and not well aligned with many experienced analytics practitioners. Some people clearly fit the eligibility criteria and some do not. If your circumstances are not an exact fit I strongly suggest you contact INFORMS to discuss by calling 1-800-446-3676 or sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Decision science is a diverse and complex field. The folks at INFORMS understand this and if you chose to pursue certification your application will be reviewed by a human who can interpret your background. Good luck!